6 Telltale Signs It’s Time to Replace Your Heating SystemBOOK ONLINE BOOK ONLINE
Modern HVAC systems are incredibly sturdy devices that are designed to provide decades of comfort and convenience. Still, every machine has an expiration date. While proper installation and maintenance will help you maximize its service life, eventually, you’ll have to invest in a heater replacement in San Diego, CA.
But how can you tell if your HVAC system is on its last legs? What are some major signs of a failing heater to look out for? How long can you expect a modern heater to last, anyway?
In previous articles, we discussed the importance of servicing your HVAC system before winter and warned against the dangers of using an old heater. Now we’ll help you make a sound investment in your home by answering frequently asked questions about residential furnace replacement. Read on to learn more.BOOK ONLINE BOOK ONLINE
How long do heaters usually last?
The average lifespan of a furnace is 15-20 years. That being said, quality furnaces are built with durability in mind, and in rare cases have lasted 30-40 years. As long as you don’t forget to have an annual furnace maintenance service, your heating system should last 15 or more years.
Factors which can affect the lifespan of a gas furnace include:
- Make and model. Modern heating systems tend to last longer than their older counterparts. Furthermore, models made by trusted manufacturers tend to last longer and require fewer repairs than budget options.
- Installation. Improper installation can greatly reduce the life of your HVAC system. Always make sure your heating is installed by a reputable company that’s been in the business for a long time and has a verifiably great track record.
- Sizing. The approximate square footage of your property is a key consideration when choosing a furnace. If the furnace isn’t large or powerful enough, it will negatively impact the comfort levels and energy efficiency of your home. It’ll also have to work harder to provide the same amount of heating, which will reduce its service life.
- Thermostat settings. Setting your thermostat too low or high will put an unreasonable strain on your furnace. This will naturally cause its components to wear down faster than if you were using the recommended settings (60-80 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Maintenance. Your heating system should receive a regular maintenance checkup and cleaning on a yearly basis. In addition to keeping your furnace operating at maximum efficiency, regular servicing will also save you money by catching any issues before they can lead to costly repair calls.
How do I know if I need a new heater?
You can usually spot the signs of a dying furnace before it fails completely. But, furnace-related problems may not be the only reason why your heating system isn’t performing. Improper insulation, air leaks, malfunctioning thermostat, and faulty ductwork can all cause your heating and cooling system to not operate as well as it should.
Here are 6 major signs it’s time for a heater replacement:
- Your furnace is old and outdated
Even the best furnace in the world will eventually break down as a result of regular wear. If your unit is 15 years old or older, it’s probably operating at a reduced efficiency and nearing the point where paying for multiple repairs no longer makes financial sense.
- Inconsistent heating throughout the house
If your HVAC system isn’t heating up your home as well as it should, or if some areas are getting more heat than others, your furnace may be breaking down. However, this problem can also be caused by failing components, damaged ductwork, or clogged filters. When in doubt, it’s best to call in a heating repair service and hear what the professionals have to say.
- Exorbitant energy bills
While some fluctuations are normal, your energy bills should never be significantly higher than they were during the same month last year. If multiple appliances and devices in your home are operating inefficiently, it can cause a spike in your energy bills. However, if this occurs during the colder months, there’s a significant chance that your central heating system is to blame.
- Frequent repairs
Furnaces are like cars in that they tend to break down more often the older they get. Although individual repair bills may not be all that high, they can quickly add up. Combined with the reduced energy efficiency and the inconvenience of having to book frequent repairs, it’s usually better to upgrade to a new model than to keep pouring money into an aging one.
- Strange or loud noises
It’s completely normal for even a brand new heating system to produce some amount of noise during operation. However, if these noises are unusually loud, or if it’s clanging, banging, clattering, or hissing, there’s a considerable chance that your HVAC system is faulty or at the end of its life.
- Clear damage
If your furnace is rusty, corroded, or has visible cracks, it’s almost certainly quite old and should be replaced soon. If you continue using it in this state, there’s a risk that it may break down completely or even cause life-threatening problems such as gas leaks and oil fires.
Where can I book a professional heater replacement in San Diego, CA, and beyond?
Looking for a team of experienced and NATE-certified HVAC professionals who can provide you with the complete range of heating and air conditioning system replacement, maintenance, installation, and repair services? If so, you can’t go wrong by giving Action Air Conditioning & Heating Installation a call.
We’re a prominent HVAC and solar company that caters to residential and commercial clients in San Diego, La Mesa, Carlsbad, Oceanside, Escondido, Lakeside, Rancho Santa Fe, Del Mar, and other communities throughout San Diego and South Riverside Counties.
We offer free estimates for new heater installations, as well as financing options for all incomes. Reach out to us today and enjoy the peace of mind of knowing that your HVAC and solar systems are installed and maintained by the top technicians in the area.
Your HVAC Problems Solved
Schedule an appointment today for affordable and professional service!BOOK ONLINE BOOK ONLINE
“Complete HVAC system install was done – very professional and clean workmanship. The techs were very communicative during the whole process. I am very pleased with the results . Thanks Action and your team for doing it right the 1st time.”
-John M., Google ReviewBOOK ONLINE BOOK ONLINE