With the summer months nearly upon us, we all want to make sure that our trusted air conditioning systems are in good working order. If you’re worried about the performance of your cooling system, you should know how to troubleshoot your AC properly to check for problems and ensure smooth functioning.
The best way to maintain good air quality and ensure optimal comfort in your home is to have professionals for air conditioner repair in Murrietta at your beck and call. Experienced technicians will not only fix any cooling issues you may be experiencing but they will also perform preventive maintenance to ensure the high efficiency of your AC unit and extend its lifespan.
Read on to discover useful AC troubleshooting tips!
How do you troubleshoot an air conditioner?
If your air conditioner malfunctions, the best course of action in most cases would be to seek professional help. Nevertheless, there are some common AC problems that you may try and fix yourself. Here are some issues that you may encounter with your unit as well as some possible solutions.
Your air conditioner won’t turn on
In case your cooling system isn’t turning on, take the following steps before reaching out to the pros:
- Check if your AC is plugged in;
- Check your circuit breakers and fuses and have them replaced if needed;
- Make sure your thermostat settings are correct. Choose the “cool” setting and try lowering the thermostat to 5-10 degrees;
- Check if all switches are turned on (make sure to also check the safety switch on the outdoor unit);
- If none of these fixes work, you may be dealing with an issue with your compressor or motor. In that case, contact a professional immediately.
Your AC isn’t cooling
If you do manage to turn on your AC unit but it doesn’t cool down your home, you may be dealing with a dirty filter, condenser, or incorrect thermostat settings. Here’s what you should do:
- Make sure your thermostat settings are right;
- Clear away any debris or dirt from around your condenser;
- Replace or clean the filter (make sure to do so regularly);
- If none of the above help, you may be dealing with a faulty compressor or a refrigerant leak in which case you should seek expert assistance immediately.
Your AC is inefficient
If you’ve made sure that your filters and are clean and your AC is set properly, but the unit is still inefficient at cooling down your home, you should try the following checks:
- Try closing your windows and doors while the AC is on;
- Inspect the ductwork and make sure that they aren’t blocked. If that doesn’t help, have professional technicians inspect the ducts and clean them;
- If there is ice on your evaporator coils, turn off your unit and seek expert help;
How do I reset my air conditioning unit?
Certain air conditioner issues, such as an engaged circuit breaker after a black-out or power surge, can be fixed by resetting the thermostat. Take the following steps:
- Make sure you have power: if there was a power outage, turn on the lights and check their brightness to make sure you have steady power supply before attempting to reset your air conditioner.
- Find the reset button: on most air conditioners, this button is red and clearly marked as a reset button. If you can’t find it, check the instruction manual.
- Press the button and hold it for three seconds. Wait several moments and press the button again for another three seconds. You will hear three beeps and the system will reset.
If your air conditioning unit won’t turn on after this procedure, you may have a more serious problem on your hands. Instead of trying the solution yourself, call reliable HVAC technicians and have them inspect your unit and see what may be the cause for the malfunction.
Do all AC units have a reset button?
Some air conditioners don’t have a typical reset button, so you’ll have to reboot the unit manually using the thermostat. Here’s what you should do.
Turn off the AC unit and thermostat
Consult the instructions manual to find the AC shutoff button at the thermostat and switch it off. Make sure that the thermostat is set to “off” before continuing to the next step.
Find the circuit breaker and reset it
Find the breaker box in your home and search for the circuit breaker for your air conditioner and switch it off. In most cases, circuit breaker boxes are found in crawl spaces, basements, or closets. It’s a good idea to let your family know that you will be resetting the breakers before you do this.
Wait half an hour
Wait thirty minutes before switching the circuit breaker back on. This will give your unit time to stabilize and reboot. If you see no improvement after switching the unit back on, it’s time to call the professionals as you may be dealing with a malfunction that is more severe.
Don’t attempt to fix your AC unit on your own
Even though a simple reset may help to reboot your unit after a black-out, it’s unlikely that it solves any other problems you may be experiencing with your unit. It’s important that you refrain from inspecting the unit yourself for both your safety and the longevity of your air conditioner.
Book the leading air conditioner repair in Murrietta
If you are searching for dependable air conditioning professionals in your area, whether you live in San Diego or Riverside County, look no further than Action AC. We deliver a wide range of residential and commercial services for different types of air conditioning systems, including emergency service and regular maintenance.
You can also rely on us to help you maintain good indoor air quality in your home by offering a variety of air filtration system types and performing in-depth ductwork and dryer vent cleaning services. Reach out to us and let our seasoned technicians take care of your HVAC needs!